I am about to begin working on a how-to book about paper weaving. In conjunction, I am launching my next project – a collaborative paper weaving. I’m collecting map strips with messages from participants around the world which I will weave into a large wall piece representing our collective planet. I hope to feature this weaving in the book and to exhibit it.
You can help by sending me your maps!
Here’s what I need:
- Cut a map strip that is 1” (2.5CM) wide and 12” – 24″ (30 – 60CM) long.
- I hope to collect strips from all over the world. Your strip does not have to be local – think global. I’d love to have map strips from your travels.
- You can send as many strips as you wish (from different places).
- It is fine to fold your strips and tuck them into a small envelope.
- The paper needs to be in good condition so that I can weave it – no brittle maps please.
- Write the place that your map represents and a vision for our world on the back of your strip (ex. “My hope is for peace and prosperity throughout the world.”). Use any medium you like that does not bleed through to the other side, and write in your language of choice. Add doodles or drawings if you wish.
- Include your name and e-mail address on a separate sheet in the envelope so that I can credit you and keep in touch about the project.
Send your strips to: Helen Hiebert Studio, 113 Mill Loft St. Unit C213, Edwards, CO 81632 by April 15, 2023.
Save the rest of your map – I’m hosting a free zoom event on 3/30 at noon MST – click here to sign up. We’ll make a Faceted Map Ring using another part of your map!
This is a global community project – please tell your friends. Let’s see if we can get a map strip from each corner of the earth!
Here’s a weaving I created recently during my Weave Through Winter online class. Our prompt that day was “Roots”. I grew up in Texas, just to the right of my eyes.