Helen Hiebert Studio is located in Red Cliff, Colorado, near Vail. Helen Hiebert Studio’s mission is to share and expand the love of hand papermaking and paper crafts with newcomers and to expand the knowledge of experienced artists through artwork, online and in-person classes, retreats, videos, how-to books, a blog and a podcast.
I’m Helen Hiebert, and I construct installations, sculptures, films, artists’ books and works in paper using handmade paper as my primary medium. I teach, lecture and exhibit my work internationally and online, and I am the author of the several how-to books about papermaking and papercrafts. I have an extensive network of paper colleagues around the world and my interest in how things are made (from paper) keeps me up-to-date on current paper trends, which I write about in my weekly blog called The Sunday Paper. I also interview papermakers and paper artists on my podcast Paper Talk, and I hold an annual paper retreat and papermaking master classes in my Red Cliff, Colorado studio each September.
Every time I discover a new paper, my imagination is sparked! First, my mind starts to envision new creations, but the magic happens when I start manipulating the material in my hands: cutting, folding, crumpling, tearing, weaving and more. My hope is that we can share the joy of making paperwork fun and inspirational!
If you’re a paper lover or maker, I invite you to join the The Paper Studio community over on facebook, where you can connect with like-minded friends!
Here’s a cute clip with a catchy tune. I’m one of the adults in the video!
Top 10 Tidbits about Helen Hiebert:
- I was born in Tennessee, grew up in Texas, and went to the University of the South
- I lived in NYC for 11 years; in Portland, Oregon for 14 years and now I live near Vail, Colorado
- I’ve written five how-to books
- In 2008, I produced a couple of art films (about paper, of course and a how-to film called The Papermaker’s Studio Guide
- I’ve stood atop the Brooklyn Bridge
- I lived in Germany for two years
- Yes, that was me in the New York Times vows section in 1996 and 2003!
- I’ve traveled to Ecuador, Japan, Korea, Tasmania and throughout Europe
- I bicycled across the United States in 1991 and
- I’ve made an appearance on Sesame Street (see above).