From September 5-7, 2014 I held my first annual Red Cliff Paper Retreat. Ten participants and one assistant joined me for three creative days in this tiny hamlet on top of the Rocky Mountains. Here are some images and thoughts.
We came from a variety of backgrounds, men and women ranging in age from mid 30’s to mid 70’s (that’s my guess). Some had never worked with paper and others have fully equipped papermaking studios; some were content to stay dry and others couldn’t get wet enough; some came thinking they wouldn’t make paper but changed their minds.
Here’s what I’ve heard:
– The pace of the retreat was energetic but never frenetic.
– How lucky were we to have such a great group of people!
– There was plenty of time to experiment and develop the ideas that were presented.
– It was superb and you took such good care of us.
And a few more comments:
– The morning sessions provided an excellent launching pad for creativity.
– You provided an excellent mix of technical and creative skills.
– This was a wonderful creative learning space.
– You got my creative juices flowing; I can hardly wait to get back in the studio and apply what I’ve learned!
Every morning, we gathered and worked together on a step-by-step project. We made collapsible lanterns, we wove paper and created variations with a piano hinge, we made armatures utilizing wire and reed, and we experimented with abaca – embedding wires and strings, nailing sheets to boards, hanging sheets on a line and creating paper string. Afternoons were more free form, with papermaking demonstrations and time to continue the morning’s work or experiment in the papermaking studio.
Here’s a glimpse at what we made:
We enjoyed time outside of the studios too!
We took a short break and visited the town museum (in the school house) and enjoyed the antiquities.
All in all, I think it was a success! Plans are underway for next year’s retreat, which will take place September 4-6, 2015. Registration will begin in January; please let me know if you’d like to be in the first group to be notified.
Where do I fly in if I come to one of your classes? Are there accomodations?
I would be interested in one of your workshops. I live in San Francisco.
Yes… Please sign me up for the 2015 Retreat!!!!