Watch the Video + Scroll Down to Register!
Register Now! Class begins October 26th
$225 for 4 Weeks (12 Projects)
Handmade Holiday Series
Do you love paper? Do you enjoy exploring its potential? Do you like to create your own gifts?
- Skip shopping online or in person and make it yourself!
- Experience Joy in the Making as you create with your own hands.
- Turn beautiful decorative papers into gift-worthy treasures.
- Spend time with a paper-loving community where you’ll share ideas, get feedback and find inspiration!
- Use your own paper stash or purchase my curated Holiday Paper Collection (details below).
- Give handmade this holiday season! Joy in the Giving.
Cards, Holiday Décor, Ornaments, Lanterns
The weekly classes will be broken into four categories: cards, holiday décor, ornaments and lanterns. Create three different designs during each class as you gain skills and new ideas for crafting with paper. Many of the designs collapse flat, and all are lightweight, making them easy to send through the mail. Surprise a friend or loved one during this time of social distancing.
- A new lesson will be added to the classroom every Monday.
- Work from the comfort of your own home or studio whenever you wish.
- Pop into the online classroom anytime to ask questions and share your projects and ideas in a supportive and creative on-line community.
- Take what you learn beyond this class as you create variations on each project in a variety of papers.
- Enjoy access to the course material after class ends – and indefinitely!
October 26 – Cards: Make your own unique holiday cards to surprise friends and family as you explore an overlapping closure, paper weaving and a pop-up.
November 2 – Holiday Décor: Decorate your tabletop and brighten your windows with these clever paper decorations. Each of them can be illuminated for a magical holiday display.
November 9 – Ornaments: Create this trio of ornaments to hang on a holiday tree or in a window, package them in a box as a special gift, or use them as gift toppers.
November 16 – Lanterns: Explore paper cutting, twist translucent vellum, and turn a simple piece of card stock into a lantern with your favorite paper! Insert small battery operated tea lights and watch your lanterns glow.
Helen is a skilled, generous, and very organized teacher. I enjoyed every aspect of the online class, from the clear video and the community feel, to the ability to work at my own pace. The projects and materials were lovely. The online format made it possible to benefit from Helen’s vast expertise without the time and cost of travel. Thanks Helen! Sue E.
Half the value of the class is listening to Helen and her million ideas of things to try, and the other half is seeing what others are coming up with and being inspired by all of it. Bev F.
This was my first ever online class. The videos for each lesson were clear and easy to follow. It was fun to see the results that other participants posted. I found the interactive communication helpful and delightful. Thank you! I look forward to another online class with you! Barb H.
What You Get:
- Step-by-step video tutorials for each lesson
- Printable instructions for each project
- A comprehensive resource list, plus a list of suppliers
- The online classroom where you can ask questions, share your work, and get feedback
- Live online Zoom sessions with Helen
How it works:
- When you register, I will send you a link to the online classroom, where you will find a comprehensive supply list.
- Each Monday, beginning on October 26th, a new lesson will be available in the online classroom with a video tutorial featuring new projects to explore throughout the week. This is not a live lesson – you will be able to watch the video anytime, work at your own pace and visit the online classroom to ask questions, share your work, view and comment on the work of others.
- As a student you will have access to all lessons, support materials and videos indefinitely!
Curated Holiday Paper Collection
I am partnering with an online paper supplier that is assembling my Curated Holiday Paper Collection, featuring papers I’ve picked for each project. All of the projects can be made with 8-1/2″ x 11″ sheets of paper and you are welcome to use your own paper stash. You will need a few other supplies that are available on Amazon or in craft stores. I will send you comprehensive details about tools and materials when you register.
Want to know read more about the supplies before you sign up? View the paper kit here and the Amazon supplies here. I am guessing you will spend about $50-$75 total on supplies, but this really depends on what you have on hand.
About Helen: My initial interest began on a trip to Japan 30 years ago when I was inspired by light filtering through traditional shoji screens. I took classes at the NY Center for Book Arts with Hedi Kyle, Susan Share, Barbara Mauriello and more and soon began developing workshops combining book arts, papercraft and lighting techniques. I’m the author of five books about paper crafts and papermaking, and I publish The Paper Year, featuring a how-to paper project every month. I teach, lecture and exhibit my work internationally and have an extensive network of paper colleagues around the world. My interest in how things are made (from paper) keep me up-to-date on current paper trends, which I write about in my weekly blog, The Sunday Paper. I hold an annual paper retreat and two papermaking master classes in my Red Cliff, Colorado studio each summer + fall.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why an Online Class?
I’ve taught projects to hundreds of students in person over the past twenty five years, but since I can’t travel all the time (and perhaps you can’t either) I decided to develop on-line content. This is an extension of the numerous how-to projects I’ve written about in my books and the ideas I continue to develop in my studio, but they are a bit more in-depth and elaborate, featuring skill building as well as creative ideas.
What if I’m traveling or have to miss a lesson?
The sessions are independent, so you can jump in at any point and come back to lessons you’ve missed later. You will also have access to the online classroom indefinitely.
What kind of experience is required?
This class is for all levels but expect some challenges. You should be comfortable using a craft knife. I have taught and mentored all levels, from beginners to experienced artists.
Cancellation/Refund Policy: Refunds are only available within 24 hours of purchase. You will receive a full refund minus a $25 processing fee for cancellations within 24 hours.